Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Baseball Special on WORT 5/8/24

The Milwaukee Brewers are in first place (what a game last night!), the Madison Mallards start up  again this month, and baseball season is officially in full swing. 

A surprising number of professional baseball players sang and played country music (Dizzy Dean, Johnny Bench, Barry Zito, Charley Pride, to name a few), a TON of professional country musicians played competitive baseball (including Bill Monroe, Stringbean, Roy Acuff, Rudy "Tutti" Grayzell, Judy Lee, Roy Acuff, Conway Twitty, Jim Reeves, Billy Ray Cyrus, and Garth Brooks), and an even more surprising number of my favorite country songs are about the game of baseball. I've dug up my favorite 100 examples (with a particular nod to my former hometown teams of the Brewers, Boston Red Sox, and St. Louis Cardinals) and I'll get to play roughly half of them for you. 

Tune in to Back to the Country this morning to hear The Baseball Special. Show starts at 9am (cst) on WORT 89.9 and streaming via wortfm.org. And as an added bonus, if you listen to the whole show you just might hear my hours-old tribute song to my favorite baseball player, Andy Van Slyke!




No comments:

Post a Comment