Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Press Play: Recorded Sound From Groove To Stream - A Special Collections Exhibit 9/7-12/22

Today marks a new semester at UW and I'm particularly excited for this one because today is also the opening of my first curated Special Collections exhibit! It's called Press Play: Recorded Sound from Groove to Stream and is located on the 9th floor of Memorial Library (UW-Madison). It'll be up all semester, but you'll have to visit when Special Collections is open to see it: M-F 9am-5pm.



This summer I spent countless hours pawing through the amazing collections at Mills Music Library and Wisconsin Music Archives and, using my favorite finds, I was given the opportunity to curate a show that illustrates what we collect and why, as well as how we engage various audiences with our collections. On display are roughly 300 rare, unique, beautiful, historic, iconic, and obscure sound recordings with accompanying texts expounding the evolution of sound recordings, how records are (sometimes) made, and why I hate Spotify, to name just a few topics.

The entire staff of Mills Music Library has been working on it for months and we're excited it's finally open. There's a playlist with some amazing tunes you can only hear if you scan the QR code or visit the Listening Station, and if you let me know you're coming in advance, I'll crank up the 1915 Edison Diamond Disc of "On, Wisconsin!" for ya! 



No comments:

Post a Comment