Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Don Pierce and T. Tex Tyler in 1966



Well, I'm currently going through old magazines to research international country music and I just stumbled across this cool pic of Starday chief Don Pierce and T. Tex Tyler from the '67 issue of Billboard's World of Country Music. Don had produced many of Tyler's early hits for 4 Star Records back in the '40s and later signed Tyler to record one album for Starday in '66. I remember Don telling me about first trying to sell records by Tyler (and also the Maddox Brothers and Rose) around Bakersfield in the late '40s and that's what got him forever hooked on country music. In this particular article Pierce says, "Both Pappy [Daily] and I got a lesson--we decided to devote our careers to the country field, and this never would have happened were it not for Tyler."

No comments:

Post a Comment